Monday, December 31, 2007

The Year Gone By...

The Year Gone By... 


Initially it seemed that the year went by really fast but when I sat down and starting thinking about the events that my year had, I realized that this has probably been one of the most interesting and stimulating years of my life. 

2007 started on a very different note because when the clock struck 12, I was in a desolate beach in Osa Peninsula (Costa Rica) with just three biologist having just a small fire and the stars for company. Feeling one with nature and listening to the waves crashing on the beach, I could never imagine the roller coaster ride the year 2007 would turn out for me. 

It started with a bang.. parading on the streets of New Orleans for the newly promoted consultants party in January, an experience for which I will always be thankful to Deloitte Consulting. Throwing beads and streamers at the crowds staring at the parade, the 'feel like celebrity' celebration was way more than any of us could ever imagine. February and March saw some difficult but satisfying days at work when we got the monstrous court application off the ground. Being one of those people who get really attached to their work and also having been on the project for the longest time, this will be one memory that I will cherish all my life. During the long days and nights, I made great friendships, both with the clients and with consulting people around me and also discovered some great mentors to guide me during my career.

I learned the value of hard work and determination and realized that the satisfaction that one gets from a job well done is much more than any monetary reward.

But like after every marathon, the runner though tired and happy seeks a greater challenge, I knew at this point that in order to keep working with the same zeal and to be content with life, I needed to chase my next dream. I had been toying with the idea of an MBA for a while but a two year hiatus from work and the financial burden accompanying it seemed overwhelming but the incentives for more friendships and skills and the curiosity of the unknown finally tipped the balance in the favor of education. With renewed excitement, I plunged myself in preparation and the months of April and May seemed to pass without a second to spare. Sleep became a luxury as I aimed for the Jan'08 admissions to INSEAD and had to double up to complete everything in time. During this time, I also moved to a new city, living with family after a long time and to a new project following my favorite boss in Deloitte and was now at a entirely different role and position. Another long learning period with crazy hours but an experience that further strengthened my resolve to get into Business school as I realized that even though I did not know how but was sure that there had to be a better way to conduct myself. I felt I had a lot that I could still learn in terms of leading and managing people, building relationships and work ethics that would help me reach my dream destination in life.

Following the GMAT in June, I decided to take a break by indulging in my favorite hobby.. archeology and nature photography.. I traveled to the Mayan ruins in Guatemala, a long cherished desire since I visited Peru last year. Tikal and Antigua held me in their power and I effortlessly travelled to the 9th century in the royal times of the Mayan kings. In July, I backpacked across Alaska, following the trail of Chris McCandless (Into the Wild:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Wild) and traveling all the way up to the eskimo village in Pt. Barrow, ice climbing, camping and fishing on the way. An opportunity for observing mother nature in its full glory and for deep self introspection without any disturbance.

August and September were times for heavy work and interviews for INSEAD admission. I had two interviews and met some amazing alumni who made me confident that my MBA gamble would pay off. 

I heard of my admission acceptance in October, and even though an occasion for great joy and happiness, I now had to leave some of my best friends and colleagues to march into the unknown. Finances was a problem too, as most loans were not working out well, but as always being the 'fortunate one', I somehow scraped through after pooling in all my resources and with a few loans.

Delhi, India in December is cold and harsh but I had not been home for more than two years so this was a welcome break and even though not as productive professionally as the other months, I got spend some time with my parents and got to meet some old friends and could hopefully start some new relationships that I hope would grow in future.

But as I sit back today and quickly scribe my year logs on the slow internet connection and beautiful computer gifted by a best friend, I realize that this year would not have been close to what it became, had it not been for each of you being there to support me when I needed. From 1st Jan to 31 Dec, every person in this list has played an important role in my life and I feel truly blessed to have known and interacted with you all.

I know there are going to be lots of hardships and challenges for me ahead but I feel unafraid and confident as I can feel the warmth of the memories and the strength of the wishes guiding me along and showing me the way.


Thanks you all and have an excellent new year.


Russ

www.crazyrustam.blogspot.com

www.thefortunateone.blogspot.com

(Rustam Sengupta)

1 comment:

Kay said...

Good Luck!!

Have an even more adventous and fulfilling Year!!!